Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks glowing
Glimpses of Zion National Park

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bouncing in anticipation

I can't believe our Zion adventure is almost here. Just four more days of work for Denise, and four days of bouncing around in anticipation for me. Can you tell I'm looking forward to our adventure?

I've started collecting a few of the things we'll need for our trip. There's a little pile on the floor of the bedroom with things like Denise's passport, and her National Parks Pass, and some little (airplane-allowed-sized) bottles of sunscreen. She isn't too interested in getting ready to leave yet, but I'm sure she'll be happy that I've started to gather our important little travel items.

I have a feeling that the daytime hiking temperatures may be a bit of a shock. We've had nice weather here, but the highs have been in the 60s and 70s. I just looked at the weather and climate information on the Zion National Park website. It shows the normal temperature range for June is from 60 to 93 degrees. (Oh, yes, that's in Fahrenheit. For those of you in the sensible metric-centric parts of the world, the equivalent in Celsius is from 15 to 34 degrees.) Wow, that's hot for hiking. Even hotter if we're tramping in the sun. And I know that some of the trails are pretty exposed. I guess we might have some sweaty days. I suppose we could always cool off by hiking up the river. I don't think Denise is thinking of doing that - especially if she's carrying her cameras - but you never know, do you?

Denise smiles when she thinks about our trip. I know she's more than ready to get away, even though it's just for a short long weekend. We fly on Friday, and fly back home late on Monday. That gives us a good solid 2 and a half days to wander in the park.


Hey look - Denise just got a new "baby" camera, a Canon G9. And I think she's going to bring it to Zion. I thought she was only going to bring the big camera and lenses, but she thinks she wants this one with her too. And guess what? I think this camera is the right size for me to use. So maybe I can help with some pictures when I'm not creating the right words for the day.




Denise loves her 40D, but I'm sure you can see that it's too big for me to use. The size doesn't seem to bother Denise though...





We have another trip for dreaming too. Denise just told me that we're going to go to Acadia National Park too, on the Saturday after we get home from Zion. And one of our bicycles is going to join us on that trip. (Cameras too!) Wow!