Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks glowing
Glimpses of Zion National Park

Monday, June 9, 2008

Heading home

Well, we're heading home for a few days anyway, until our trip next week to Acadia!

We're at the Las Vegas airport, waiting. Our plane is here, sitting at the gate, with a scheduled departure at 4:05PM. When we arrived at the airport the monitors were showing an estimated departure at 4:50PM. Why the delay? Apparently there is a line of severe weather in the midwest stretching from Chicago into Texas, and all air traffic to the northeast has been put on hold.

Maybe if the flight leaves later we can go through calm instead of crazy air. That would be a good thing because Denise really doesn't do well on roller-coaaster flights. She already took her normal Dramamine. I wonder if I should suggest that she take another one. What do you think?

Denise borrowed our baby computer for a bit, and guess what? She discovered that McCarran Airport has free wifi access. Nice!



We're in the air now, late, but not too late. We took off at 5:10, which probably puts us in to Manchester at a little after 1AM. I'm hoping for smooth air (for Denise, I like roller coasters!), and for a big push from a tailwind. That would be nice, wouldn't it?



Oh look - I popped up to the window at exactly the right time to see the Grand Canyon. Wow! That's really big, isn't it? It's funny, Denise told me a story about when she was there, standing at the North Rim, absorbing the beauty. She overheard someone saying that they didn't like it because it was too big. I suppose some people could see it as overwhelming, but it's so beautiful! And that was looking at it from really far away.

Denise visited the Grand Canyon before I started traveling with her. I think I'd like to see it in person. I know Denise has bunches of places on her travel list; I think I'll ask her to add the Grand Canyon to that list too.



I wonder what time it is on the ground underneath us. Denise switched her watch back to eastern time, and it's 10:00PM at home. I think we're floating over Nebraska right now, or just east of there. The sky above us is still light. The puffy clouds underneath our airplane are just starting to wear shades of pink. Oh, it's fading away, becoming gray. What an odd vantage point for watching the sun set, an airplane window.



Home again... The big bird landed only a half of an hour late even though we left Las Vegas a good hour behind schedule. The wind gods were kind to us and gave us a bit of a push.

Time for sleep, and for dreaming of our next trip...




I thought I'd pose with this wonderful bronze character near the visitor center.

You did want a parting photo of me, didn't you?